On Aug 28, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Jonathan Selander wrote:
I've set up SMTP AUTH and AUTH LOGIN works without problems, however when i try to login with mozilla thunderbird (which as far as i know uses CRAM-MD5), the login fails with the error message:

Aug 28 14:39:30 mail vpopmail[16420]: vchkpw-smtp: password fail (pass: '<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>') [EMAIL PROTECTED]: 127.0.0.1

As if it uses the CRAM challenge as the password or something?

I run vpopmail 5.4.17-6 (debian package from http:// wiki.debian.iuculano.it/quick_howto)

You've got the wrong AUTH patch to qmail-smtpd. Use the one from vpopmail contrib. A long time ago I had considered modifying vchkpw to try swapping the challenge and response if the first pw check failed, but I don't think I ever got around to trying it. That would allow vchkpw to work with both the old patch (which passed the challenge and response in the wrong order) and the current one.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vpopmail - virtual domains for qmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/