I have an odd problem, that I just discovered on a server that I need to put into production tomorrow.

I have a mixture of unix system users AND vpopmail virtual users on the same server, but for a reason I cannot figure out, I can authenticate vpopmail users fine for POP3 or IMAP, but I can NOT authenticate system users for POP3. I am running qmail's stock pop3d with vchkpw like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -l 0 -R -H 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
SERVERNAME /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

I can authenticate both types of users fine against IMAP, using the standard courier-imap startup script (not using tcpserver).

I get this error in the maillog (telnet localhost 110):

vchkpw-webmail: vpopmail user not found someuser@:127.0.0.1

It's like vchkpw is ONLY trying to authenticate vpopmail users.

I could have sworn I had this going a while back, but since then the only changes I can think of is the addition of a bunch of users/assign entries for the vpopmail virtual domains. Does there need to be a "catchall" entry there for system users that just use normal delivery to $HOME ?

Here are the authdaemonrc auth modules:

authmodulelist="authvchkpw authpam"

Both /etc/pam.d/imap and /etc/pam.d/pop3 have this entry:

auth   required    pam_unix.so    no_warn    try_first_pass

Ideas?

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
u...@3.am                                                           http://3.am

!DSPAM:4a7f1a4332714290833933!