At 17:04 28-9-2009, Matt Brookings wrote:

Ro Achterberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the vpopmail MySQL module to manage my domains and to provide
> an authorization backend for courier-imapd's authdaemon (among other
> things). However, it seems that since the MySQL module (vmysql.c +
> vmysql.h) doesn't bother registering the Maildir domain's uid and gid
> (thereby storing them with a default value of 0), courier-imap runs into
> problems when trying to authenticate a user, since I have it run as a
> non-root user.
>
> Basically what happens is that courier-imap is unable to setgid() from
> 'root', since that's what it's reading from the SQL table, that the
> MySQL module had created. Am I missing a configuration parameter
> somewhere, or could this be considered a bug? Any insights would be
> greatly appreciated.

Ro, Courier-MTA has dropped all support for vpopmail, and as such,
vpopmail has dropped all support for Courier-MTA, and it's various
parts such as Courier-IMAP.

This isn't really considered a bug because this worked in the past, but
they simply chose to take a stance of non-support.  I saw that you sent
me a patch that allows authentication to work, but the uid/gid fields
in vpopmail are not used as named.  The fields are called that so that
implementors realize it's authentication scheme is based on the Unix-based
passwd system calls.  The fields are actually used to store user flags.

Most people using qmail/vpopmail installations have moved to Dovecot for
IMAP, and some other services as well.  Most would tell you that Dovecot
is a superior IMAP server too.  Moving to Dovecot from Courier-IMAP is
*easy as can be*.
- --

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. I can see how you would drop support for courier-mta if it is no longer mutual. I'm also aware of the purpose of the uid/gid fields as vpopmail uses them, but the patch still works for me, seeing as I have the authmysql module construct its SQL query in such a way that it properly uses the uid and gid fields as they are stored in the table. The patch as I sent it to you works for me, but it's hardly a long term solution.

I'll be weighing your point of view (vpopmail + Dovecot) against a possible setup where I'd still use courier-imap, combined perhaps with another domain/user management tool. Although I've always been a very happy vpopmail user, I've also put a lot of effort into getting my rather complex chrooted non-root mail setup into gear in which courier-imap has played an important role.

Bye, Ro

!DSPAM:4ac0dd6032714145926256!