I believe I fixed this in the commit on 2/6.  There are a bunch of
CPAN options which get configured in a hash in the configure_cpan
subroutine.  These options need to be configured so that CPAN module
installs are non-interactive.  I included all the options I could find
in this hash to prevent CPAN from asking any questions.  One of the
options is "tar_verbosity".  It had previously been set to 0.  It
seems as though CPAN takes this parameter and adds "-0" to the tar
arguments.  I changed it to a blank string and it seems to have solved
the problem.

-Andy