Satoshi,

The other issue you will need to consider relates to how users authenticate. If
you use LDAP, whenever the updateLDAPUser() method is called, the email field
is overwritten with the value received from the LDAP server. The same applies
to Shibboleth authentication, though here, updateShibUser() is the method in
question. Either way, for every non-local user account, the email address is,
by default, overwritten in the database whenever the user logs in.

So in addition to userpreferences.php, you will also need to modify the
relevant file in .ht-inc/authmethods.

Aaron

--
Aaron Coburn