Am I understanding this correctly... on the NFS datastore with > 1G
RAM, the VM boots slow the first time.  Subsequent powering on/off
through the ESXi console is fast.  Is the speed also fast if you issue
a reboot command from the Windows 7 OS?

I would first check if ESXi is correcting something in the vmx file
when you restart it via the vSphere console.  Load the image.  Make a
copy of the vmx file.  Restart it via the vSphere client.  Then diff
the original and running vmx file.

Also look in the vmware.log file that is generated in the vmx
directory.  Compare it for the same image loaded under conditions
where boot time is slow and fast.  There may be some clues in this
file.

Another way to troubleshoot is to view the performance statistics in
the vSphere client.  Check the latency statistics for the datastores
where the vmx and vmdk files reside.  Also look at the CPU utilization
for the VM.  I have seen very high CPU utilization for a VM when it
boots if datastore latency is also high.

-Andy