Several years ago, we put thin clients (Sun Ray) in all our public
computing spaces and computer-equipped classrooms.  They work great for
most things, and they do indeed save lots of expense and hassle.

We're now in the process of going back to PC's, though.  There are
several reasons, but the one that might apply to other sites is remote
display of graphically-intensive applications.  3D rendering is the
obvious one, but there are also a few legacy (DOS-era) scientific
graphing packages that don't play well with a network-connected display,
and the accumulated latency during real-time graphing appears to the
user as a drastic slowdown in performance.

So, test all your apps thoroughly before you commit.

--
Michael Jinks :: mji...@uchicago.edu :: 773-469-9688
University of Chicago IT Services