> Can vdr-xineliboutput utilize the excellent interlaced output of a
> Matrox G450 with VGA>SCART cable?

I'm asking myself the same question. I've played arround with xineliboutput
and softdevice the last days and came across the same issues you reported.

> I'm seeing what I can only describe as video stutters/shakes with
> interlaced video and quick movements, long camera pans.

I experience a very simmilar problem here. For a few seconds, video is very
well and the next few seconds I have those problems you describe. It seams
that sound also has some problems while video stutters (at least here), but
it is not this noticeable.
The problem does not happen when using the normal monitor as output device.

> Using latest vdr-xineliboutput, DirectFB-1.0.0 & xine-lib-1.1.5 using
> Gentoo ebuilds.

Exactly the same here, but on Debian Etch with all components built from
source. That's vdr-xineliboutput 1.0.0rc1, DirectFB 1.0.0 and xine-lib 1.1.5
on Debian Etches default kernel (2.6.18).

> Otherwise xineliboutput is working fantastically!

Well, I think it's a bit hard to say that xineliboutput works fantastically as
I can't rate it with this problems. But what I can say for sure is that CPU
load is a bit lower than with softdevice. But sound works for me with both :)
There seem to be some problems with aspect ratio with xineliboutput, but as
you say, that's another issue...

Greetings, Markus