Hi!

Since VDR 1.5.10 (or thereabouts) VDR has had this weird problem - and
now that the 1.6 RC is near, I decided to report it (also I've been a
bit busy so I wouldn't had had the time to look into this before
myself).

VDR dies at startup randomly, at around 5 seconds after the startup
(the Gentoo init script detects this fail, and so watchdog is newer
started). Just as randomly (~50% of the times) it start without errors
and is stable (as rock) in my working environment =).

When it crashes, I can sometimes see the "Welcome to VDR" in my VFD,
sometimes even on the output of my DXR3 (if not always but I don't
have my TV turned on always), but right at that point the
gentoo-vdr-scripts decide they have waited enough. This could be a
gentoo-vdr-scripts bug, too.

btw., this is what I run in my root crontab to work around this:
---- START VDRpurkkakoira.sh ----
#!/bin/bash

while true ; do
        /etc/init.d/vdr start
        if [ $? -gt 0 ] ; then ### punch the VDR
                sleep 5s
        else
                sleep 30m
        fi
done
---- END ----
This also works as an additional layer of a watchdog; hence the script
name =)  Usually it needs 1-5 punches (but sometimes none).

I believe some plugin is to blame. At VDR upgrade (when no plugin is
loaded as they usually need a recompile) VDR has never died this way.
I have my suspicions but I'm not going to tell them before I do some
more testing, to not to upset developers for nothing =)

Here are my plugins:
dxr3
femon
osdteletext
mplayer
undelete
streamdev-server
lcdproc
control
externalplayer
epgsearchonly
text2skin
epgsearch
quickepgsearch
burn

So, I'm going to do some testing by disabling plugins, but in the
meantime, has anyone run into the same problem? Or does anyone have
any suggestions I should try?

Also, I'll provide the syslog of my VDR in case someone is interested
- though it didn't provide anything to me that would tell why it fails
(and why it doesn't, when it doesn't).

  - Ville

--
Ville Aakko - [EMAIL PROTECTED]