Am 09.01.2010 21:16, schrieb Simon Baxter:
>> Theunis Potgieter Said:
>> I think it is your card that is the problem
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU shows that is should support up to
>> VP1, however if you look at mythtv's guide:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU it starts only at series 8 and newer.
>>
>> It seems that your card can then only support xvmc for mpeg2 codec
>> only. :(
>>
>> Buy a a new 8400 GS (old brand model name but new architecture G98
>> chip) as indicated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
>
> I've tried it in my production machine now, which has this card:
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400 GS
> (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 3463
>        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>        Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>        Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
>        I/O ports at b000 [size=128]
>        [virtual] Expansion ROM at eb000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>        Capabilities: [68] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Count=1/1 Enable-
>        Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
>        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
>        Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
>        Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information <?>
>        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
>        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nvidia
>

> And while vdpau does work now, I get little CPU improvement (drops
> from ~60% under xv to ~45% on vdpau), there's some tearing during
> action scenes and some image freezing for a few seconds when switching
> from live TV to recordings which I've had to "kill" on occasion.
Have you switched off compositing in the xorg ? Depending on your CPU -
this is to high CPU usage still. I have below 10% at HD and around 5% or
lower for SD while watching TV. Also denoise/sharpen of vdpau on SD
content provides quite good quality picture even on SD.

> Currently I only have SD content to watch and my Sony Bravia 32V only
> supports up to 1360x668.  Any point using vdpau?

If you are fine with xv - but see above - the only time i came in that
range IMHO was back at the days where i still used my Turion ML-30 at
some of the HD stations (not all).