On 4 April 2010 03:37, Georg Acher <ac...@in.tum.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:35:04AM +0200, Udo Richter wrote:
>> Am 03.04.2010 21:17, schrieb Teemu Rantanen:
>> > now that I've moved from pci dvb-c cards to usb dvb-c cards, I started
>> > to think what happens if dvb-devices are inserted/ejected when vdr is
>> > running. I haven't actually tried what happens, but it looks like
>> > hotswapping isn't supported?
>>
>> VDR is far from being able to hot-swap.
>
> This is true, but there is a workaround for that. It involves one
> indirection in the device handling by a plugin.
>
> During the development of the mcli-plugin for the NetCeiver the same issue
> appeared. The networked tuners are already virtualized, they get
> visible a few seconds after the plugin start and may also disappear or
> change their type. So hotplugging support was a must.
>
> It is now solved by the mcli plugin by allocating all (16) devices at
> startup. When the various Provides*-methods are called for tuning, the
> plugin searches in its internal resource database for an appropriate tuner
> and assigns it to the vdr-device. If there is no appropriate tuner for the
> request the Provides-methods return simply false, so the device is skipped.
> That is virtualizing of already virtual tuners :-O

Can this solution coexist with vdr-streamdev/iptv? I ask because
currently vdr-streamdev does not support dynamic increase in streams
to remote server(s). Only way now is to copy the plugin multiple times
and load them accordingly. If the plugin is loaded 3 times, then it
will allow 3 connections. I take it this will then consume 3 devices?