On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 05:53:31PM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:28:29AM -0500, Adam Litke wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 06:45:43PM -0400, Andrew Cathrow wrote:

The main language issue is that ovirt-engine has built their API using a set of
Java-specific frameworks (JAXB and its dependents).  It's true, if you google
for 'python jaxb' you will find some sourceforge projects that attempt to bring
the jaxb interface to python but I don't think that's the right approach.  If
you're writing a java project, do things the java way.  If you're writing a
python project, do them the python way.  Right now I am focused on defining the
current API (API.py/xmlrpc) mechanically (creating a schema and API
documentation).  XSD is not the correct language for that task (which is why I
forsee a divergence at least at first).  I want to take a stab at defining the
API in a beneficial, long-term manner.

1) Completely define the current XMLRPC API including all functions, parameters,
and return values.  Complex data structures can be broken down into their basic
types.  These are: int, str, bool, list, dict, typed-dict, enum.  I have already
started this process and am using Qemu's QAPI schema language.  You can see that
here [1].  For an example of what that looks like describing the vdsm API see
this snippet [2].

2) Import the parser/generator code from qemu for the above schema.  Vdsm will
require a few extensions such as typed-dictionaries, tuples, and type aliases.
Adapt the generator so that it can produce a libvdsm which provides API language
bindings for python, c, and java.

3) Implement a vdsm shell in terms of libvdsm.  In fact, this can be largely
auto-generated from the schema and accompanying documentation.  This can serve
to model how new transports can be written.  For example, an AMQP implementation
can be implemented entirely outside of the vdsm project if we wished.  It only
needs to talk to vdsm via libvdsm.

Easy as 1,2,3 :)

[1]
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=qapi-schema.json;h=3b6e3468b440b4b681f321c9525a3d83bea2137a;hb=HEAD
[2] http://fpaste.org/rt96/

Probably more than you bargained for when asking for more info... :)

--
Adam Litke <a...@us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center