Well libguestfs really uses a VM behind the scenes, so it's the same thing only
less work

For online snapshotting, I agree this is a problem, but online snapshotting is
only 1 test.
I think most tests that can should use libguestfs, it means that they
theoretically could be done without a full blown VDSM running.