18.10.2012 18:03, Saggi Mizrahi kirjoitti:
> currently getVdsCaps() does a lot of unrelated things most of them have no
> relation to capabilites.
> This was done because of HTTP overhead. Instead of calling multiple commands
> we will call one that does everything.
<skip />

Can I please make a small note, before we went too deeply into
getVdsCapabilities() discussion.

What the getVdsCapabilities returns now, it is, literally speaking,
*host*info*. That means some reasonable description of the host —
installed packages, cpu topology, so on, so forth.

…

What I propose, is just a dedicated call, that will not carry
«all-in-one» info, but only the *version* information. By historical
reason there are several meanings of the «version» term in the context
of the VDSM — that is VDSM version, RHEV version, cluster versions… But
nevertheless.

I would stress again:

* *not* the host info
* *not* the installed packages list
* *not* the installed hardware specifications

Maybe even not the current weather conditions outside of the datacenter.

But only supported *versions* of VDSM *protocols* (API versions).

…

Returning the version can be done in a fast, reliable manner — yes, I
know that one can implement fast cache for rpm queries and so on, but
please think: can *any* caching be more reliable and more fast than
returning several constant literals?

The version information is the basic and vital info in the mixed
environment with several versions of the same software. It can be
queried often, it must be as simple as it can be at all. That's why I
proposed a dedicated API call, that does nothing but returns the version.