> Maybe this is a good reason to use XML transforms?
Hah, well, there's gotta be -some- good reason for XML xforms...but I
don't think you've stumbled across it yet. <grin>

> do.  I imagine using a seperate servlet to generate off of a
> different template might do as well.  Don't know a best way
The RSS format is just text, there's not much voodoo involved in the
actual file. There is of course the aforementioned silliness in the spec
versions...but, well, that's an out of scope thing, and you don't want
to hear me rant on about it. ;-)

This is an article on RSS, and shows an RSS 0.92 snippet.
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/1/5.html

Yes, the RSS snippet is XML. But generating XML from Velocity can be
done in multiple ways. The easiest though goes something like this,
struts action grabs data and sends the results out via an Velocity
template... which is no different from what you're doing already, eh?

<rss version="0.92">
<channel>
<title>$feed.title</title>
<link>$feed.link</link>
<description>$feed.description</description>
<language>en</language>

#foreach ($thingy in $list_of_thingies)
<item>
<title>$thingy.title</title>
<link>$thingy.link</link>
<description>$thingy.description</description>
</item>
#end

</channel>
</rss>