Unfortunately, the Forum example is rather dated, and applies to older
versions of Tomcat.  We've dropped it in the upcoming release and in
fact have deprecated VelocityServlet (which it is based on).

We suggest you download the subproject "Velocity Tools" which has
improved support for webapps, and contains a tutorial of its own. See
this URL for some more info on using Velocity with webapps.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/webapps.html

Will