Justin,

We do multi-tape catalog backups everyday.  Here's how
we do it.

create a standard policy to backup the images
directory to tape.

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

We do have an exclude not to get the masters images.

Then we configure the catalog to backup to do the
following (this is a solaris master, but same applies
to windows), we push this to disk in an alternate
datacenter:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<mastername>/
/usr/openv/volmgr/database/
/usr/openv/var
and of course the the media db's, etc from the media
servers

To do a recovery (which we have had to do
unfortunately) first recover the second piece, after
that you will have what you need to recover the images
directory using the standard restore process.

Hope this helps.

Mike