"ouch?"

How many tapes are you dealing with?  If it's a relatively small number,
you could get away with that.  Make sure you have a dump of your images
and their retentions to help with researching images to import in an
emergency and then work on a schedule to get as many as you deem
important imported as quickly as possible.  You may want to also try and
identify critical systems and import those tapes first.

We have roughly 100 tapes and we also have images on disk for most of them as well, so I guess the worst case senario is if we screw up, we can always go back to the old system and reattach the tape drives.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Yang