Yes the client is needed.

Snapshot Provider is now integrated into the 6.5 standard client. The old
Advanced Client (Snapshot Provider) in 6.5.1 or 6.5.2 is the way and reason why
NetBackup (Symantec) was the first to be able to integrate with VCB so quickly.
 It's virtually the same code they've been using for years, just a few tweaks
to integrate the VMware commands to start and stop the vm.

The question I still have is the pricing. In a Product Feature PPS Guild I had
seen from this years Vision, it listed this as an "Option". For me, in the past
with, option with Veritas means more $$$.

But remember the VMware client pricing model which has been discussed
vigorously in this forum before.

Example:

ESX Server
- 1+ Windows Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for
only one client license.
- 1+ Linux Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for only
one client license.
- 1+ Solaris Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for
only one client license.

Scott

>>> UlrichJU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/19/2007 1:28 PM >>>

I am running a pilot test of backing up the VMware VM's with VMWare VCB and
Netbackup 6.5.1.   I have a VCB server that is running VCB 1.1 and Netbackup
6.5.1 media server.  This interfaces with Virtual Center to see the VM's .  But
so far the only way I can get this process to work is by having a client loaded
on each VM.   I thought that I had read that a client was not required on each
VM when using VCB and Netbackup.   The only time I see it connect to the VM
client is to verify it's existence in the beginning, from there everything is
done through the VCB proxy box.  So why do I need to pay for a client on each
of my VM's?  Anyone had any experience with this?   Is a client really needed
on the VM's?