Michael,

The "unable to lock media" message has to do with bptm selecting media.
Without the log, my guess is that you'll see bptm is attempting to obtain a
piece of media for a backup.  One part of that process is going through it's
local mediaDB to see if it fan find a match for what it needs (correct
volume pool, retention, etc).  If a particular tape is in use, then you'll
see the "unable to lock media" message.

I don't think this is related to the problem you originally posted.  BTW,
what patch level?

-Tim