On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Curtis Preston <cpres...@glasshouse.com>wrote:

>  Ed Wilts said:
> >With snapshots enabled on the filer, the chances are pretty good you
> won't ever have to do a restore for your SQL admins.
>

> Because he's creating a new dump each day, I'm not sure that's true.
> Snapshots only work the way you describe if you're modifying files, not
> completely overwriting them every day.

Say what?

1.  Create a sql dump file at 6pm.
2.  Create a NetApp snapshot at 7pm
3.  Repeat

If you keep 7 days of snapshots, you'll be able to recover from the snapshot
from daily.0, daily.1, ... daily.6.

Snapshots appear to be full copies of the file system, whether anything has
changed or not.  It doesn't matter if you're modifying files, deleting
files, or completely overwriting them.

It's a good thing you're a backup expert and not claiming to be a NetApp
expert :-)

--

Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
ewi...@ewilts.org