From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff
Lightner
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:34 AM
To: Wilcox, Donald A (GE, Research); jeff kaplan;
veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] dedup/replication

Of course.  Deduplicated information is only that information that is not
already duplicated somewhere else on the storage device.   Once you copy the
image using bpduplicate to a tape there is no other copy of the information
(so far as the tape is concerned) so obviously it would create a whole
backup using duplicated and non-duplicated information from the Data Domain
to create it.

However, I didn't see anything by OP that suggested he was looking to save
deduped information to a tape.  I read his post as meaning:

"There is a backup that went to Data Domain - we would now like to have a
tape copy of the backup."

The only real trick in what he wrote is how to get the information from the
remote Data Domain to the local one.   Since we don't do the remote setup
here (we use vaulting to duplicate the local one to tape) I don't know
exactly how that mechanism works.   It may be automatic simply by requesting
a bpduplicate of the image or it may require some step on the Data Domain
itself.   I feel confident however that there is a way to get the data from
remote to onsite.  Otherwise having a remote unit would be worse than
useless.

  _____