On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Sushil
<netbackup-fo...@backupcentral.com>wrote:

> 2.  Can we get a list of all clients that have backed up over the last
> month and howmuch data they send per night

The built-in pieces in NetBackup do a pretty poor job of long-term
trending.  Start with NOM since the license is included with NetBackup, but
you will probably require a commercial reporting product (VBR, Aptare
StorageConsole, etc.) to produce your trending reports.

> 3.  Can we get a list of all clients who have not backed up over the last
> month

This is best addressed with a really simple approach:
1.  Ensure that all of the client mount points are in active policies
2.  Report on job failures

NetBackup will continually try to schedule everything it needs to do.
If/when the job fails, fix it right away - don't wait for a month.

Commercial products do allow you to produce the report you think you might
need - I've got Aptare StorageConsole mailing our Windows server manager a
report that shows him all of the clients that have totally failed for at
least 3 consecutive days.  Unfortunately, that frequently appears to be the
only failures that he works on and many other failures are rarely looked at.

A harder problem is to continually audit your environment to make sure that
all of the data that is supposed to be backed up is in active policies.  If
NetBackup doesn't know about it, the jobs won't fail and you won't be
recoverable.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewi...@ewilts.org