It's not just a fragmentation issue - a defrag'ed file system may also give
you poor destage performance.

A bunch of people have reported this issue but so far nobody has found the
smoking gun.  It's an issue on multiple platforms as well.

   .../Ed

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM, owiking
<netbackup-fo...@backupcentral.com>wrote:

> Im having problems with my diskstage getting to fragmented and thus getting
> very slow performance when duplicating to tape. Running defrag isnt an
> option since the files are reaplced fequently and the defrag job will take
> to long time to run.
> From what Ive seen and read, this is a major problem for alot os users of
> Netbackup.
>
> Is there a way to force Netbackup to preallocate space on the diskstage for
> each backupjob, instead as it is now that they are all written in fragments
> all over the disk?
>
> Ive read some about the differences with Basic and Advanced diskstages in
> Netbackup, Im running Basic atm, but havent found any information that
> Advanced could preallocate space?
>
> My diskstage is 5.5tb large, is it better to make to divide it to 2-3
> partitions to avoid fragmentation?

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewi...@ewilts.org