Page 71 of the Device Config Guide references this obliquely.
I can't find a technote, but I am working on getting one written as I've
answered this question a fair number of times internally.

I got a private follow-up note explaining to me why a person might want to
do this. It went something like this.

My de-duping VTL doesn't know know how to de-dupe an MPX image, therefore I
want to stop MPX'ing. In order to still perform my backups in a reasonable
amount of time, I need 180+ drives.

Is that the situation you are facing?

--
tim burlowski