A quick search on the symantec support site for “vmware 58” resulted in this:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306273.htm

From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of
anthony.kulaku...@sepracor.com
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 10:24
To: Veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Cc: unixad...@sepracor.com
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VMWare Error 58 on 6.5.1 Clients

Hi Everyone,

We recently updated our NetBackup clients to 6.5.1 and we're experiencing error
code 58 on a Virtual Machine just about every night.  We've had 10 (all
windows) servers fail and 3 of them have failed multiple times.  They have
never failed on consecutive backups.  I just looked to make sure our VMWare
version matched the VM Tools version.  They are failing on different VMWare
hosts in our Production and Test and Development areas which are totally
separate.  This started happening right after our VMWare upgrade to 3.5 Update
4 and our client upgrades from 5.1 to 6.5.1.  Please let me know if anyone has
any suggestions or has experienced this as well.

Thank You

Anthony Kulakusky
anthony.kulaku...@sepracor.com

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS COMMUNICATION AND ANY ATTACHMENTS HERETO IS
CONFIDENTIAL, MAY BE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED, AND IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE ADDRESSEE(S). IF THE READER OF THIS
MESSAGE IS NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR AN AGENT THEREOF, YOU ARE HEREBY
NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS
COMMUNICATION OR ANY ATTACHMENT HERETO IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE
RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY E-MAIL, AND
DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.