That is what it does, but I believe that the complaint is that it logs
an error to the event viewer.  I can see how that can be confusing for
some admins not familiar with the product. It's not an unreasonable
request and we will look at changing the default state of the service in
a future release.

John Hink
Staff Tech Support Engineer
Symantec Corporation