Simon,

I assume you mean "Would it not just be easier to configure one of the
drives to read LTO1" ??

If so, that means that drive would *ONLY* be able to read LTO1. And assuming
you never want to write new backups to LTO1, the drive would never be used
for backups.

If you can spare a drive, all cool!  But most can't afford to have a
sparkling new LTO4 drive sitting there doing nothing. (But hang on, can LTO4
drives even read LTO1 tapes? If not, it kinda makes this point moot).

It has become a bit of a pain that that NBU won't let use more than one
media type in one drive type. It always USED to make sense, but now it's
just annoying, with all these different length tapes, backwards compatible
drives, what have you. I'm really hoping this limitation will be remedied
sometime soon!

The only thing I can think of is getting one of the LTO1 drives from the old
library installed into the new library. This might not be possible - I've
lost the original message of this thread, so can't see many details of the
actual situation. Regardless, it would probably be relatively expensive, if
not impossible/unsupportable.

Cheers,
Dean