I had similar issues with short names randomly popping up in my 6.5.3
environment.  In case this helps, here is how to change to the FQDN within EMM:

First, get a listing of the hosts in the EMM database:
1) nbemmcmd -listhosts
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.3
The following hosts were found:
server          master01.bos.ralph.net
master          master01.bos.ralph.net
media           media01
Command completed successfully.

Next, run the rename command:
2) nbemmcmd -renamehost -machinename media01 -machinetype media -newmachinename
media01.bos.ralph.net

Confirm the change was implemented:
3) nbemmcmd -listhosts
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.3