After messing with it for awhile last week, it appears that it was two
things:
-Name resolution (VADP likes FQDNs)
-Botched client install

This particular VM was migrated from a 6.5.x environment and the
implementation team installed NBU 7 client on top of it and apparently it
did not take, which caused issues when trying to do back it up using the
new APIs. I still have an error showing up in the bpfis log that I'm
working with Symantec on, but the backups appear to be happening
successfully.

Here's the remaining error, in case anyone has seen it:

<32> fis_rebuild_from_db: FTL - cannot open C:\Program
Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\bpfis.fim.hostname.domain.com_1280507690.0

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard
Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪
281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪
http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

<rusty.ma...@sungard.com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
07/27/2010 05:04 PM

VERITAS-BU@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Mapped VMDK Backups in NBU7

Hello everyone,

I'm new to VMware and I'm setting up an environment that consists of
virtualized NBU 7 Master (Linux) and Media (Win2k8) servers that backup a
fully virtualized environment using the new vStorage APIs. There are
currently only about 20 VMs I'm backing up currently, but every night we
have a small number that do not complete. They seem to create the snapshot
fine, but the snapshot is never backed up. I am still looking at logs, but
haven't found anything interesting yet. I'm waiting on a call back from an
engineer, but thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone had
any suggestions on what specifically to look for.

Thanks for any help!