Adrian,
   Your problem , especially in the =case of physical tape, is that you put
multiple retentions on the sane tape.  I understand that in the short term this
 might reduce an initial tape purchase, but in the long term, you probably end
up buying more tapes because the ones you are using contain 50% (or more)
expired images, and at least one image that has not expired.  Since it is very
complex to try to "recycle" part of a tape cartridge, I don't think any vendor
does it.

You have two basic options here:

1.       turn of "Allow multiple retentions per tape" an create separate tape
pools for policies with different retentions to pull from

2.       Suspend the tapes from each backup session until all the images have
expired.

Mark

Mark Hickey
Principal Technical Consultant