I respectfully disagree in all respects.

   - Refusing to get a database backed up until management hires a DBA could
   be a "resume generating event".
   - Like it or not, the questioner appears to be the Oracle DBA, albeit one
   very early in his DBA career and learning on his own!
   - [redacted]
   - Someone using NetBackup for as long as the questioner knows that a
   successful backup is not the same as being able to restore or meet
   expectations for recovery.
   - My post started with and ended with, essentially, "you need a DBA".
   - My intended perspective was that if management leaves the DBA job to
   the questioner, then a little high level knowledge will let him focus on
   getting the database protected at an appropriate level as quickly as
   possible.
   - What I wrote may be right or wrong, the perspective may be right or
   wrong for various circumstances, but for how I read this circumstance, the
   comment is off-base and helpful only in giving me pause before again
   "helping" in this forum. If this was the commenter's purpose, it worked.
   - If the commenter wrote "Wayne" when he meant the questioner ... never
   mind.

Wayne
NetBackup administrator
Oracle database administrator