Assuming you're using the standard "vnetd" communication, port 13782 is no
longer required as it was with version 5/5.1 ... just port 13724.

>From your NetBackup server(s), run "bptestbpcd -client< clientname>" for
each client.  Telnet on port 13724 will work, too, but the response is not
as clear (as you have found ... the connection will NOT drop in 5 seconds
if all is OK).

If there are problems, I look at these

   - Are the firewalls of server and client open in both directions for
   port 13724?
   - If using DNS (why aren't you using DNS?!), make sure forward and
   reverse DNS lookups work.
   - Ensure the NetBackup server(s) is/are properly  listed in the client
   configuration.
   - For Windows, ensure the NetBackup Client Service is started on the
   client.
   - For Windows, does the domain controller know of the NetBackup servers?
   - If multiple paths (IP addresses) are available, ensure NetBackup uses
   the path you want

This catches nearly all setup problems I have.

Cheers, Wayne