" The LTO Ultrium compatibility is defined with two concepts demonstrating
investment protection: 1) An Ultrium drive can read data from a cartridge
in its own generation and two prior generations. 2) An Ultrium drive can
write data to a cartridge in its own generation and to a cartridge from the
immediate prior generation in the prior generation format."
http://www.ultrium.com/About/faq.html

So an LTO4 drive should be able to read an LTO2 tape, but not write to it.