vmoprcmd can run tpconfig commands on a remote media server.

it has been mentioned a few times on this list.  search the archives for
-devconfig

From:
veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu<mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>

[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu]<mailto:[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu]>
 On Behalf Of Jerry Hoetger
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:10 PM
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu<mailto:veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
Subject: [Veritas-bu] remote tpconfig command for getting fully qualified tape
drive name and status?

I need to get complete tape drive name and status remotely now. I had been
using tpconfig on the local server, but I want to centralize my command
interface on a remote server. I looked at vmoprcmd, but:

1) vmoprcmd truncates drive names that are longer than 20 characters. This has
caused issues. Two drives whose name are identical in their first 20 characters
won't be distinguished.
The 20 characters limit has been present for a long time and is still present
today in NetBackup 7.5.

2) while tpconfig connects "physically" to the drives, vmoprcmd gets its data
from the NetbackUp database, so there is always the possibility that vmoprcmd
is not always accurate. This is particularly the case if a configuration change
was made without restarting the Media Manager daemon (ltid).

Does anyone know of a command that I can use remotely to get tape drive status
and fully qualified names?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH31854
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-netbackup-determines-drive-status

Jerry

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.