The Master Server if separate from the Media Server does not have a huge impact
on backup performance *unless* there are lots of files for a Windows client.
The unless is because at intervals the client sends the Master the list of
files backed up - I think at each checkpoint.  The backup does not resume until
the client gets the 'ACK' from the Master as I understand it.  If the file list
(being sent for the catalog) is huge there may be enough of a pause to cause
the backup to appear to stop.  If the backup is going direct to tape that is
bad news as the tape  may stop and back-hitch. Often.  If staging to disk is
does not matter.

Otherwise I'd recommend first making sure the tape buffer size is good, 256KB
for LTO still seems as good as it gets.  Then set the NET_BUFFER_SZ to the
same.  Long ago it used to be said that it should be +1K but I don't think that
is advised any more, so 262144 is a good NET_BUFFER_SZ.  Just use that
everywhere and it seems to work OK.  As someone noted, some Windows drivers
will not let you set a 256KB tape block size without first doing some driver
configuration.  Maximum_SG_List is I think the registry setting but it is
driver specific and newer (StorPort) drivers should not need it.  So only
bother if it fails if you set the buffer size to 256KB.  NB any restore server
must also be able to read the block size that you write.

I have in the past found on the LAN side that although you set NET_BUFFER_SZ
and there is no error, if you turn tracing on I think bptm or bpbkar above 4
you may see it ask for what you set and be given less by the OS.  That does get
OS specific and I don't think it happens with Windows.  Definitely seen it with
Solaris, and the fix is to adjust the ndd tcp settings.

The tuning is done by looking at the wait & delay counts and adjusting as best
you can.  Don't overlook on the client defragmenting the disks.

Windows defaults are much better from 2003 onwards.  You can set TCP window
options but I am not convinced it has great effect in a typical LAN, might on a
WAN backup.  Jumbo Frames does make a big difference but it takes a lot of
negotiation with network teams and some application owners may get nervous
unless you are on a dedicated backup NIC.  Older NICs & switches may not
support it or may have bizarrely different maximum values anywhere from 8192 to
9194 bytes, and you need to set an exact same value everywhere.

Regards

William