By “convert” I assume you mean “reinstall”.   We did that to a Windows media
server last year because we had issues getting the shares from our dedupe
appliances to work there cleanly.   On the “reinstall” we gave it a new name so
didn’t import anything from the “Windows” media server to the “Linux” media
server.

I didn’t do the actual removal of the old server but I’d suggest you run the
decommissioning first to move its images to be owned by your master (you can
then move them to be owned by the new media server after it is up and running):

First save state information on your master so you have it for reference if
necessary:
      nbemmcmd -listhosts >nbemmcmd_listhosts.YYYYMMDD
      vmoprcmd >vmoprcmd.YYYYMMDD
      vmdareq >vmdareq.YYYYMMDD
      vmglob -listall -b -java >vmglob_listall_b_java.YYYYMMDD

    Verify each of those has references to the existing Windows media server.

    Next run the decommissioning utility to see what it finds before
decommissioning:
      nbdecommission -list_ref –oldserver  <oldmediaserver>   >
nbdecommission_list_ref_<oldsmediaerver>.YYYYMMDD
NOTE:  The “>” by itself above is a literal direct but the “<oldmediaserver>”
you should replace with your old media server’s name and get rid of the “<>”.

Review the output file and verify there is nothing you need to address.  It
will show you tapes, disk images etc… currently assigned to the Windows media
server.

You do the actual decommissioning with:
nbdecommission -oldserver <oldmediaserver> -newserver <newmediaserver>
In our case we usually use the master server itself for newmediaserver.

The command will give you interactive prompts to guide you through the
decommissioning.

I don’t know if we have actually done any restores from old media server to any
of the Windows clients since we reinstalled but suspect we have.  (Typically we
let the Windows team do their own restores.)   I think I would have heard if
there had been any issues.   I do know that we regularly backup Windows to the
Linux media server and restore from it since the reinstall.

My understanding is that you can’t restore windows client backups to Linux
clients or vice-versa but so far as I know the actual images don’t care about
the media server type.