From: Steven Sim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:18 AM
To: Jim Senicka; veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: low priority heartbeat vs I/O Fencing

Hello Gurus;

Firstly, I wish to thank James Senicka of Symantec for his wonderfully
fast and very technically accurate replies.

I wish all other product vendors were so efficient.

Support like this is one reason why I will continue to push VCS as a
clustering solution.

I am currently trying to convince a customer to implement I/0 Fencing
with three SAN based co-ordinator disks.

I've told him 3 are required (minimum) and they cannot be used for data.

At which point he threw a look at me and asked me whether I was aware of
how much per byte his EMC was costing him.

So....some bright spark suggested a low priority heartbeat. Which I was
going to implement anyway, with or without I/O Fencing.

My question is;

Is a low priority heartbeat sufficient for I/O Fencing? If so, why the
strong recommendation for I/O Fencing with three co-ordinator disks?

I have been telling people that a low priority heartbeat is not
sufficient protection against split brain scenarios. Could you guys
comment?

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim

Fujitsu Asia Pte. Ltd.

This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us immediately. You should not
copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person.

relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.