-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ceri
Davies
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:39 AM
To: veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-ha] Resource Group Dependencies

I note that there is a restriction that a group may have only one child
group; is there any future in which this might be relaxed?

----

As a usage case, this is why I want this: I have a multi-node cluster in
which I have multiple zones on each node, and fail applications over
between the zones.

I don't wish to use the configuration quoted in the User's Guide for
zones, as this configuration requires that, when a service group fails
over, that the zone be stopped on the failing node and then started on
the node that the group is failing over to.  This is bad as, in my
testing, starting a zone is very quick, but waiting for one to shut down
takes about 40 seconds.

Therefore, I'm eschewing this and have created a parallel resource group
that starts a zone on each node and have the application resource groups
simply configured with a firm local dependency on the zone resource
group; e.g. with an identically configured zone vleappp on each node, I
use:

  group vleappp_zones (
        SystemList = { clna = 0, clnb = 0 }
        Parallel = 1
        AutoStartList = { clna, clnb }
        )

        Zone vleappp_zone (
                ZoneName = vleappp
                )

  group vle_app_prod (
        SystemList = { clna = 1, clnb = 0 }
        )

        Application vleappp_apache (
                StartProgram = "/nondistinct/vle/application start"
                StopProgram = "/nondistinct/vle/application stop"
                PidFiles = {

"/zones/local/roots/vleappp/root/nondistinct/vle/logs/httpd .pid" }
                ContainerName = vleappp
                )

        Mount vleappp_mount (
                )

        Blah otherstuff ()

        requires group vleappp_zones online local firm

This works perfectly for me, except now I want to add a global
dependency on the vle_ora_prod group as well.  Aargh.

I simply can't wait for the zones to shut down so is there some other
option?

Ceri
                                                  -- Moliere