comments below

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Colb,
Andrew
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:14 PM
To: veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-ha] Naming conventions for VCS; VCS style guide?

All,

We are about to initiate and upgrade several VCS clusters. The plan for
these upgrades will enable us to build/test in parallel with existing
production clusters and  to revisit our traditional cluster nomenclature
and naming conventions.

Our configuration has a five-node production Solaris Veritas cluster at
our headquarters; we are building a four-node equivalent at our warm
business continuity site (active data replication). The two sites are
connected by a point-to-point DS-3; firewall rules allow one site to see
and interact with the other.

Our current VCS nomenclature is pretty much ad hoc. The new VCS
nomenclature would have the following structure:   stem_object## where
stem is either a functional name (e.g., db)  or a singular, universal
name (e.g., prod), object is dg or sg, and ## is a zero-padded numeric
for serialized differentiation.

Question 1: Can we use identical names for VCS diskgroups and service
groups at the two sites (HQ and Continuity) simultaneously? Host names
will, of course, be different. The clusters will have different cluster
IDs. If we do use identical names, will that create a problem if we move
on to Global Cluster Option and/or to VVR?  For example, if we have a
service group named "db_sg01" in both our headquarters cluster and our
business continuity cluster, will VCS complain?

JS>> Absolutely. No issues with identical names in separate clusters

Question 2: Is there an advantage in Veritas management/administration
if all the stem names are the same? That is, if we replace existing stem
names such as db, auth, appsrv, etc with a single universal name such as
"prod", will we be gaining anything in exchange for giving up the
functional association?

JS>>> Cluster Management console either has or will be providing a
search function, so it all depends on how you want to search :-)

Thanks in advance for any discussion, advice, ideas, guidance, and
warnings,

Andy Colb

Investment Company Institute