Dear List Members,

We are redoing our datacenter wiring to add lots more structure. Within this datacenter we have several Windows and Solaris VCS 5.x multinode clusters. Currently, the heartbeat (GAB/LLT) switches for these clusters are located within the same rack or at most 1 rack distant from the servers they are monitoring, and those switches are directly cabled to those servers.

We are considering consolidating all switches within the network racks, not the server racks. This means that the heartbeat switch cabling would attach to a rack patch panel, then a 40-foot cable run to the network rack patch panel, then to its heartbeat switch.

Does anyone have positive or negative experience with heartbeat switches patch-panel-separated from the servers they are monitoring?  In the best of all worlds it would be great to have no patch panel connections between server and switch, so I'm looking for real world experience with the use of intermediate patch panel cabling. Are there capacity or extensibility "gotchas"?  In particular, if we grow the clusters to 5 or 6 nodes, will the patch-panel approach fail?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Andy Colb
Investment Company Institute