App team requested more space on /backup. Allocated 300 gigs more to
localdg. While expanding both the volume and its fs using vxresize (my
colleague fired it from VEA), it just got hung. The probable reason might be
- fsadm requires some free space in the background to carry out the
expansion. but the file system was full and there was no space available.
Ideally speaking, vxresize should have checked this thing first and should
have aborted the operation before starting it if there wasn't enough space.
Apparantely this didn't happen.

The server, vxvm, vxfs everything was still functioning except /backup. Any
process trying to access /backup will not respond. df -k, ls, cd on /backup
will hang. ps -ef | grep vx showed fsadm hung. Couldn't kill it with -9 as
root. There were other processes started by cronned database scripts trying
to access /backup. Even those couldn't be killed. In all - anything related
to /backup just got hung and couldn't be killed.

Logged the call with Veritas. They advised to reboot. We rebooted about 2
hours ago and verified that the volume was enabled/active with 300g added to
its size. This means fsadm did go through successfully finally. When I tried
to mount it gave me message that it might be corrupted. fsck gave the map
and summary messages.

Based on Veritas recommendation (I should hear back from them in about an
hour), we will either run fsck with or without risk. We might use vxdump
before fsck if it involves risk. We will vxrestore if fsck corrupts the
data.

Mike/Darren - thanks for your advice though. I've been member of this group
for a while now, and I really appreciate the help you guys provide to this
mailing list.

cheers
Ketan
On 7/24/07, Darren Dunham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] # fsck -F vxfs -n /dev/vx/rdsk/localdg/localdg_vol01
> pass0 - checking structural files
> pass1 - checking inode sanity and blocks
> pass2 - checking directory linkage
> pass3 - checking reference counts
> pass4 - checking resource maps
> au 7572 emap incorrect - fix? (ynq)n
> au 7572 summary incorrect - fix? (ynq)n
> fileset 1 iau 0 summary incorrect - fix? (ynq)n
> OK to clear log? (ynq)n
> sanity checks/updates have not been completed - restart? (ynq)n
>
> Shall I go ahead with fsck? Will it cause me lose my data?

I can't say for certain that all your data will be there, but the
problems that are shown are rather innocuous.  It's not like it's
showing disconnected inodes or anything, just some map and summary
updates.

While a comparison against a backup would be thorough, in most cases I'd
probably just let the fsck run and go on.  I don't expect any
significant problems from those messages.

That said, I'd attempt to understand what happened to cause the need of
the fsck.  Simple crashes or power failures shouldn't do that.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]