On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:39:02AM -0700, Victor Engle -X (viengle - Insight
Global at Cisco) wrote:
> Can someone direct me to a document with a good explanation of root disk
> mirroring and recovery with veritas vxvm 4.1 for Solaris? I have an
> encapsulated root disk with a mirror. I think I have a good
> understanding of the encapsulated disk and how to manually unencapsulate
> it because all the partitions are still intact. My concern is with the
> mirror. It's partitions are not the same as the root disk so if the root
> disk fails I'm not sure how it's possible to get back to having an
> encapsulated root disk. The reason I think I need an encapsulated root
> disk is that I can disable veritas and still boot from the encapsulated
> disk assuming I know how to unencapsulate it.

Only difference is whether or not you have slices mapped to the
different filesystems (volumes) on the mirror.

At least root will already be mapped (can't boot without that being
there).  If there are other filesystems that are present but aren't
mapped, you can create the slices with 'vxmksdpart'.  If you've done
that (or you don't have any filesystems other than root), then you're
done.

--
Darren