From: veritas-vx-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-vx-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Neil
Swallow
Sent: Thursday, 29 November 2012 11:24 PM
To: veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-vx] EMC VMAX with VxVM 5.0

Hello all,

Just after some feedback on whether anyone has experienced anything
similar to an issue we're currently seeing.

We're trying to migrate from an HDS SAN to an EMC VMAX on a Solaris 10
server.  We have the server up to supported levels for drivers etc. and
have removed one of two paths to the HDS and routed that to the EMC and
all is seen OK.  However when we try using the EMC (mirroring the
volumes from the HDS to the VMAX) we are inundated with scsi transport
errors and a lot of i/o wait time.  DMP (VX, not powerpath) is disabling
the path and re-enabling it at random points (not necessarily during
mirroring) and even if the mirror completes the plexes on the VMAX LUN
are disabling eventually and vxdisk list reports the LUN as failing.

I've manually disabled the path and created a separate (vxfs) fileystem
on the LUN and done some file copies etc and still get problems so I'm
not
convinced it's a DMP issue.   I've also done the same with a UFS
filesytem
and oddly UFS provides the least amount of i/o waiting and out-and-out
read/write failures of the copy commands etc. but still registers lots
of transport errors.

With no issues on HDS I'm loathe to blame any of the VX elements but EMC
are providing no help since the VMAX itself and all the switches are
reporting no issues and they are trying to blame vxvm/vxdmp/vxfs.
Whilst I agree that things appear better without any VX involved, the
issues do not go away entirely so I am currently putting that down to a
lower tolerance to issues on the part of the various VX elements.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea/suggestions/similar issues (any
additional logging I can add at a VX level to help prove anything) that
have been rectified, I'd appreciate it

thanks,
Neil

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914.
If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.