On Nov 18, 11:11 pm, Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM, joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1) why does Versions create 3 extra versions of the file if there is a
> > conflict? They kind of get in the way as I always have to modify the
> > main file and dont look at the .mine, .r19, .r20 ? Can it not just say
> > "conflict, here's a fileMerge window for you to create a single file
> > from these two" ?
>
> If you know which version you want to use, then you can just throw out the
> file and replace it with one of the 3 versions, which are:
> Your modified file (.mine)
> The BASE of your modified file (.r19, i.e., the version you began editing)
> The updated version of BASE, excluding your changes (.r20 -- the other
> developer made changes to .r19 and committed, creating .r20).
>
> Usually, I just go through the un-extensioned file and resolve the
> conflicts, but sometimes this isn't possible and you just need to throw it
> out and use one of those versions (like with images / other binary files).

One neat trick you can do with Versions or the command line ("svn
resolve") is marking the un-extensioned file as resolved when you're
done editing it. This will get rid of the additional files and the
exclamation points and whatnot.

My preferred workflow is to just edit the file itself too, keeping the
other versions around for reference in case I need them, then clicking
'Resolved' in the toolbar of Versions before I commit. (it's not a
standard toolbar item, but you can add it in there by control+clicking
a blank spot in the toolbar and choosing "Customize Toolbar..." from
the menu).

- Dirk