I haven't followed prior threads, but also have an issue with this as
it relates to Externals.

I often have projects that include externals to my code library. Early
in the dev process, it's much more convenient to be able to edit those
externals directly in my working copy, so I use my R/W repository
login for my working copy.

However, when I'm ready to share the project with other developers, my
username is still there in the URL. I should be able to just give them
the user/pass for Read access and not worry about the other usernames.

I seem to recall also having a problem doing a merge when the Working
Copy was checked out with a different username than the current
Repository login -- think SVN complained that they were not the same
repository?? I did not investigate further at the time, so cannot
provide additional details.