Can't move '/Volumes/html/repo/.svn/tmp/entries' to '/Volumes/html/
repo/.svn/entries': Operation not permitted

I'm getting this message because the owner of '/Volumes/html/repo/.svn/
entries' doesn't have write privileges on this file.  When I change
the privileges to 711 I can move the file in Finder.  Then when I try
to create a new subdirectory in the working copy, the permissions are
reset.  Obviously I'm not supposed to tamper with this.

It would be helpful if someone from the development team could comment
on what this operation is for?

Do I need to change the default file permissions on the Linux machine?