I use Subversive (somewhat similar to Subclipse) at work. For Java developers, Eclipse-SVN integration may be preferable, especially since refactoring can move and rename files in a way that both Eclipse and Subversion understand. When coding in Objective-C, I use similar tools in Xcode, and greatly appreciate the integration there as well.

Versions is valuable as a stand-alone app that isn't tied to a specific technology or IDE. You can use it to manage any kind of resource (code or otherwise) in Subversion. That said, there are certain things that are difficult or not available in other interfaces. For example, editing SVN properties on files and directories is a big one. Neither Xcode or Subversive support this — not sure about Subclipse.

Even though Eclipse "supports" SVN (via a plugin that's still in incubation), the support is typical of Eclipse in general: the SVN commands are nested deep in a contextual menu, which means it takes more time and concentration to accomplish things that are much easier and more apparent in Versions. Also, Versions only does SVN, so the UI is uncluttered and extremely usable. Eclipse, for all its benefit, is a UI nightmare and a screen space hog. They are essentially opposite in their philosophies — Eclipse aims to be the jack of all trades, while Versions (like many Mac apps) strive to be really, really good at one particular thing. Whether or not that's a value add to your team is very much dependent on your workflow and the attitudes of your programmers. For me, it's a no-brainer.

 - Quinn