I've seen several messages about conflicts posted to this group, but
none seem to answer my questions about how to handle them.

here's the scenario:
I've made changes to a application.js file.
i do a pre-commit update.
SVN notices a conflict with the js file because someone else has
edited the same js file and commited the changes.
now i have the following files:
a conflicted application.js file with '>>>>>>' markers and is
essentially a file with all the code duplicated with those markers

application.js.mine (my changes)
application.js.r33
application.js.r35

no matter what i do with filemerge i cannot get it to actually merge
the differences correctly into a new file.

is this just broken or am i doing something wrong?