I'd vote for the same, (one repository per client, not per project) especially if you have a hosted SVN account — you may run out of free repositories, depending on your host. Adding a directory to a repository is easier than setting up a new repository each time a new project comes along, and it makes more sense to group project for a client in a repository regardless of how they "scattered all over [your] hard drive" — you can check out directories as different working copies in whatever location you like.

 - Quinn